From advertorial to editorial.
As a freelance journalist, producer, editor, reporter and media consultant, I give people and brands a voice by telling their stories and sharing their lives. Having spent over a decade in marketing, media and communications I love chasing stories, looking for tomorrow’s news lines and crafting treatments full of texture.
Before getting hooked on radio.
Currently based in Melbourne, I’m a content maker and community radio enthusiast with a strong predilection for evidence-based storytelling. For me, being a part of independent radio and broadcasting ensures quality music, arts and current affairs finds its way into listeners lives.
A few years ago, I decided to swap 15 years of living on the east coast of Australia for sunny Perth and was part of the startup ecosystem, social enterprise landscape and community media. At Spacecubed and FLUX, creating a highly responsive, adaptable and versatile organisation enabled the business to work with the best local, national and international creative and strategic minds on varied projects.
Prior, I spent close to six years at SEEK (inc. SEEK Commercial & SEEK Learning) – a media group encompassing a strong portfolio of employment marketplaces, education and volunteer businesses which span across 17 countries. During my time at SEEK in Melbourne, Brisbane & Sydney I gained first-hand experience on how cutting-edge businesses make a positive impact on a global scale.
My passion for strategic business improvement helped me apply operational acumen, extensive sales and relationship marketing experience in assisting SME organisations and start-ups establish and grow their presence in highly competitive and complex markets. I managed portfolios at SEEK in excess of 110+ clients in Brisbane (white-collar recruitment agencies & corporates), 100+ clients in Melbourne (retail sector) and SEEK Commercial 60+ clients in Victoria (franchise, brokers, licenses).
With a focus on the education, employment and franchise sector, I’ve since successfully assisted in developing the infrastructures and improving the efficiencies of: The Child Support Agency (Department of Human Services), The Australian Writers Centre, NRMA Victoria, Spacecubed, FLUX, AUSUM Initiatives and Franchise Media – where I reside as editor. These days you’ll find me on at RTRFM or 3RRRFM helping make audio a visual feast for the ears.
“Radio is the most intimate and socially personal medium in the world.”
This is my go-to phrase, because well, Harry Von Zell couldn’t have said it better.
A former talks producer used to say to me,
“It’s just like having a conversation with a friend.”
Yup, it sure is.
To help you decide on whether we project together, here’s me in a nutshell:
- Freelance journalist & media consultant
- Assistant talks producer, reporter & presenter at RTRFM
- Features writer at Franchise Buyer magazine
- Marketing consultant at FLUX (maternity leave)
- Co-founder on the award winning GovHack project #oncountry
- Finishing a Communications degree
What I do
- Feature writing (interviews, long & short form)
- Communication & marketing strategy
- Editorial (copywriting, thematics, proofing)
Who I work with
- Freelancers (creatives, journalists, education consultants)
- SME, franchise businesses, social enterprise (media, education, employment)
- Business owners, managing directors.
What I’m about
- Short & long-form feature articles
- Education & employment media
- Producing audio
- Radio documentaries and features
What I’m not
- Writing for ‘exposure’
- Writing or producing content for free
- Providing strategic marketing advice on contra deals
- A graphic designer, coder, web developer